Wednesday 5 June 2013

Google Glass - What do we know...


Hello lovely! Today I'd like to talk about something that I can barely contain my excitement about; Google Glass.


Unless you've been on another planet, you'll have heard lots about Google's hotly anticipated Glass project which was formally announced in March. Wait, what's Google Glass? Ok, if you've had your head under a rock, I'll explain...

Google Glass is a headset that looks somewhat like a pair of glasses. (We already approve...) And it contains a small mobile computer, a camera, a microphone and a glass display that projects a screen into the wearer's view. 

This means that the person wearing Google Glass will be able to see mentions on Twitter, Facebook updates, news bulletins, local information, etc.

 
It also functions as a 'face cam', so with a quick voice command you can instantly take a picture or record what you see. Google Glass will have Wifi, 3G, Bluetooth and Voice Control. Amazing, right?

Google co-founder Sergey Brin has explained why he thinks that the eyeglass-based, always-connected screen is less intrusive than constantly checking your smartphone. We've all been guilty of spending too much time checking our phone when out with friends and Brin admitted he was as guilty as anyone else of this. 
 
I have to say it does really appeal to me to have the power of a mobile phone in my field of vision. To have instant information, instead of having to pull my phone out of my pocket to check it. 

 
It was originally reported that Google Glass would be available to the public for "around the cost of current smartphones" by the end of 2013, but other reports have stated that the Google Glass isn't expected to be available for purchase any time soon.

So here's a GeektoChic style round up of what we know about Google Glass and it's features.

  • Release Date: Likely to be 2014. You can register your interest with Google here
  • Cost: Expected to be between £150 - £300.
  • What you'll be able to do with Google Glass:
  • Take Pictures
  • Record Video
  • Facetime (Video calling)
  • Reminders
  • Weather Updates
  • Text Dictation
  • Travel Alerts
  • Maps

And I have a feeling a few more features may just surprise us...

My only concern is how these will look paired with my actual glasses, which I need to wear in order to see! It would be a shame for me to have to wear contact lenses in order to use them, but sadly I assume that will have to be the case.

However, I know I'll definitely be in the queue to get my hands on Google Glass, will you?
  
Always Geek, Forever Chic,
Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...